She was 19 when she became my mother. And, I can’t remember how old she was when she became my best friend. But, she’s been the best of both for as long as I can remember. You have never met a more beautiful human being in all of the world. You have never met a more selfless woman. A woman filled with more grace and kindness and love than my mother. Today, we celebrate 60 years of this world becoming a brighter, kinder, more beautiful place. And, without further ado, I give you 60 Things I Love About My Mom:
1. I love how so very frugal and disciplined you are with your finances. Unless you’re buying for your grandchildren, then all frugality goes out the window.
2. I love that no matter how much my dad can aggravate you with his spontaneity to do the most random of things, you still love him and accept him and tell me, “You know your dad.”
3. I love how you consider riding your Harley Davidson motorcycle “therapy.”
4. I love that you can even ride a motorcycle, because, I would surely not do that so well. (And, all of my friends say, “Amen.”)
5. I love it that you keep a tub full of chocolate candy bars in your refrigerator and add to the tub whatever people request….whether you are family or not. (She thinks you’re family and wants to have all of your favorite things waiting for you.)
6. I love how you introduce ME to new music now. You were shouting Bruno Mars before he was cool.
7. I love that you went to see Prince in concert. I don’t love it that you went without me. But, still, that was awesome.
8. I love that you recognize the dresses you made for me when I was little were not really awesome.
9. I love how you try to get into your chair before Jett comes over, just because Jett expects to find you there and wants to run to you.
10. I love that you always, always remind me to give my children the benefit of the doubt on everything.
11. I love how you give EVERYONE that benefit and always assume the best. In everyone. No matter what.
12. I love how you will give up the best of something, so someone else can have it. Truth is, you always deserve the best of everything.
13. I love how you love to get dad exactly what he wants for Christmas. In as much as his wish list seems so childlike and can make you roll your eyes, you always try to fulfill it.
14. I love how you record every single awards show, because you never know that performance you will want to go back and watch. Over and over and over again.
15. I love how you already know the odds of a horse before he ever gets ready to race.
16. I love how you get emotional at race time.
17. I love that you still talk to Judy everyday after 37 years of friendship.
18. I love it that you taught me you are never too far from a friend to be there for her in the hardest of times and in the best of times.
19. I love it that John Henry can never, EVER do any wrong in your eyes.
20. I love how you will buy Anna most anything she wants, regardless of what I may or may not have thought about it. Surely, forgiveness is better than permission. :)
24. I love that you are always willing to keep the kids whenever I need you, no matter what you have planned.
25. I love how I got my love for the beach from you. And, how we could sit in our chairs and not move until sunset….if only dad and my kids would let us.
26. I love that we got to experience NYC together with Anna.
27. I love how you fell in love with Broadway and the theater.
28. I love how you are always falling in love with new things and new adventures.
29. I love it when people tell me I look exactly like you.
30. I love it that we can wear each other’s clothes.
31. I love how you always ask me when Kris is gone, “How can we help you today?”
32. I love how no one can ever say a single negative word about you, because you live life so well.
33. I love how you always speak the most positive words about people.
34. I love how you love EWC and carry the heart of the people.
35. I love your gift of discernment and how I can trust it.
36. I love how you can flow so effortlessly in the Spirit and minister to people.
37. I love how you truly love and appreciate others and their gifts.
38. I love how you love my friends and call them your girls.
39. I love how thankful you are for every little thing and every big thing.
40. I love the face you make when I talk about Anna taking my things….because, you know exactly what it feels like. (Sorry that I still take your things.)
41. I love how open you are to still grow in the things of God.
42. I love looking into your years ahead and already seeing how God is going to use you to minister to people so beautifully.
43. I love that you taught me how to hear His voice and to always trust it.
44. I love that you remind me of His faithfulness ALL of the time.
45. I love that you are content with so little yet do not fear dreaming big.
46. I love how you always taught me to love and accept all people no matter what they look like, what they believe, or how they live their life.
47. I love how you love Kris and appreciate him…..and, how, he too, can never do any wrong in your eyes. :)
48. I love how you will play the most random of games on your phone. Even though they are loud and ridiculous.
49. I love that you actually address “Siri” when you talk to her.
50. I love how you are my biggest fan.
51 I love how you have encouraged me every single day of my life.
52. I love that you have set such an amazing example of what motherhood looks like for me to imitate.
53. I love all of my memories with you, and how I can still remember what it felt like for my hand to be little inside of yours.
54. I love it that when I look at my own hands now, I see yours.
55. I love that you have been every person I’ve needed you to be….my mom, my friend, my husband, my sister….You have filled so many roles in my life when I’ve been without.
56. I love how much you loved your mom, and I love how you talk about her with so much affection. I know she is so proud of the woman she raised.
57. I love how much you loved your dad and how we can still laugh at the things he said and did.
58. I love how you light up a room when you walk in it. Not just because you are so beautiful, but because His love is so bright within you.
59. I love how you always bring peace into the most difficult of situations.
60. I love how you always bring gratitude into every single triumph.
Thank you for being the best mom and Nan. Thank you for being a living example of God’s grace, mercy, and love. I am so thankful that of all of the women in the world that could have been my mom, God chose you. I love you so very much.
Happy 60th Birthday, Mom. The best is yet to come.