Had Anna Takle held off another 1.5 hours, she would have shared her birthday with my favorite man. And, clearly, her favorite man, too.
Kris Takle is 38 today.
That calls for 38 reasons I love Kris Takle:
1. Generosity. He is one of the most giving men I know.
2. He tells me right away whenever he trips, stumbles, or hurts himself, because he knows I will laugh until tears pour.
3. He is my greatest encourager. Well, after my momma.
4. He can make the kids laugh so dang loud and hard to the point that I have to leave the room.
5. He is sentimental. The boy will hold onto everything I allow. (Sorry about throwing out those old watches, Ivar.)
6. I never wonder if he is thinking about me when he travels, because, he tells me almost every time he does.
7. He is a great cook. Or “cooker,” as Anna Takle says.
8. Speaking of cooking, his fried rice beats all. Uh-maz-ing.
9. He can’t keep his hands off of me. I’m just sayin’.
10. When I share my heart, he listens.
11. He once said when we were dating, “I don’t think I’d love you as much as I do if you didn’t have John Henry.”
12. And, I have never, EVER seen him treat John Henry differently than his own flesh and blood.
13. He is safe.
14. And comfortable.
15. He forgives quickly.
16. He has a lot of wisdom in how to handle difficult situations.
17. He will take ownership when he makes a mistake.
18. His honesty is scary, funny, and just downright impressive.
19. His love for farming is pretty adorable.
20. He gets excited about driving his tractor.
21. His passion for aviation inspires me to always stay passionate about the call of God on my life.
22. And, he still appreciates flying the little single-engine props whenever he gets the chance. I, on the other hand, really appreciate two jet engines. With nice leather seats. And, a bathroom. Amen.
23. He lets me record his “Taklisms.” Exhibit A: “Take the world by the horns.” Exhibit B: “I’m just not feeling on the top of the weather today.”
24. He loves his friends.
25. If it’s within his power to meet a need, he does it. Without hesitation.
26. He makes every date night enjoyable.
27. He is slow to anger.
28. Content. He is always content. Which makes him extremely hard to buy for.
29. As a matter of fact, whenever I ask him what he wants for his birthday, Christmas or anniversary, his answer is always the same: “Just you.”
30. He loves babysitters, and he’s not afraid to call them. Glo-ree.
31. He is a great son. I love how he always honors his mom and dad in word and deed.
32. The man appreciates really good food.
33. He makes me laugh every single day. Sometimes, I think it’s one of his life missions.
34. He is just a really great dad. He disciplines with love. He plays with them like he’s a kid, too. And, he provides opportunities for them to succeed.
35. He watches animated films ALL OF THE TIME. With and without our children.
36. I never doubt his love for me. Ever.
37. And, because of the way he loves me and others, he is one of the most spiritual men I know.
38. He loves God. And, he trusts Him in everything.
And, that last one always impresses me. As much of the Word that’s inside of me, I can still have moments of, “God, please pull through on this one.” Kris? He trusts in the sovereignty of God.
And, his faith always strengthens mine.
Happy Birthday, Ivar. You make this world a sweeter, kinder place.