I asked Kris if he would like to contribute any material to today’s post, and he informed me that one a week was his limit. A man’s gotta have his limits.
We’re talkin’ about what makes marriage a little sweeter – more like what makes it work. Well. Here are some things that I do (or don’t do.)
– I make an effort to never say, “You never….” Nothing good can come from that approach. When I have an issue, I am usually conscious to never address it as an attack. ‘Cause sistas, let me tell you. Your man doesn’t like to be made to feel that he needs to defend himself. For real.
– I give Kris a few minutes to unwind when he comes home before bombarding him with Anna’s antics household issues.
– I say I’m sorry when I mess up. And, when I say it, I usually include a “Babe, I was completely wrong.” Why? Because, that’s why I like to hear from him.
– I let some things go.
– I tell him “thank you” often.
– I tell Kris how proud I am of him, and I reassure him of my faith in him. For example, I might tell him what an awesome pilot he is. Or I might tell him how I know he can accomplish anything in aviation. Or, I just might tell him what an incredible dad he is. Words of affirmation go long way. A very long way. I try to affirm him, in some way, every single day.
– I don’t use the “I’ve got a headache” excuse. Want me to keep it real? Just do it, m’kay?
I’m sure I could go on. We have bumps in the road just like every other couple. There are days that I put Kris on the defensive and have to go back and set it straight…..humbly. But the days where we get it right? Oh, life is good. Really good.
Ladies? Your thoughts?