It’s true. I’m 35 years old today. I don’t feel a day older than 34 ½. When my mom was 35 years old, she had a sixteen year old. Wha? It appears I’ll be 40 with a 5 year old. I’ve heard having children a little later in life doesn’t keep you young, but it keeps you active.
I’m chilling an expensive bottle of Welch’s Grape Juice to celebrate tonight. Should be a total blast. I’d invite you all to my party, except there isn’t one. I’m not bitter. And, don’t y’all run out and get me something….until, I get you my correct address.
Thirty-five. 35. THIRTY-FIVE!
Here are 35 random things I’ve learned in 35 years.
1. When a toilet appears clogged, don’t flush it just to see what happens.
2. Don’t spend money you don’t have unless you really can’t live without those Ugg boots. And, you can’t. Trust me. Wait, is that bad advice?
3. Take your sunglasses off when a police officer pulls you over for speeding. I’m just sayin’.
4. Put your preferred thing to do aside, and play Sorry! with your kids. Even if it does take FOR-EVER.
5. Suck it up. It’s not always about you.
6. Forgive. Immediately.
7. Go get your child out of bed on occasion, and put her in bed with you. Just because you want to snuggle. She is your child. And, the years do fly by.
8. Pride doesn’t work well in a marriage. Humble yourself, and speak kindly.
9. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lord knows, I can’t lean on my own understanding.
10. It’s usually not as bad as it seems.
11. My husband is a terrible mind-reader, but he can make some mean cinnamon rolls.
12. Surround yourself with positive people. Even funny people. They make life bearable.
13. Listen intently to your little ones now, so they’ll share their heart when they are older.
14. Mosquitoes are aggravatin’. Always.
15. Nothing good happens after midnight. Get to where you’re gonna get by 12am. (Thank @jburengoss for that one.)
16. Whenever you feel disconnected from your Creator, do whatever you’ve gotta do to reconnect. And fast.
17. Never say never. It’s a very long time.
18. Honor your mom and dad for as long as you live.
19. I never want to exercise. Ever. But, I’m always happy I did. *I need to remember this more often.*
20. Friends are great investments.
21. Junior Mints are always a good idea.
22. So is sweet tea.
23. And listening to Sting.
24. Meeting Sting is one of my favorite moments ever.
25. Right up there with graduating from college. For real.
26. My Big Mama makes the best biscuits. And, she makes me laugh. I wish I could spend more time with her.
27. Divorce is hell. Period.
28. Communicate, communicate, communicate with your spouse. But, learn how to communicate the right way.
29. In all my travels and life experiences, I’ve seen nothing more beautiful than the birth of my children.
30. Contentment is bliss.
31. Being with family is, too.
32. I love the local church. Love it. I’m so thankful for the Sunday experience with body of Christ. Nothing refills your tank quite like it.
33. My prayer life is essential.
34. So is living a life of gratitude. *Though, I need gentle reminders of this.*
35. And, I continue to learn how wide and long and high is the love of Christ.
I could add to this list. So could you.
Wanna share sumpin’ you’ve learned?